This is the truth, nothing but the truth, and the whole truth, with a waterboard as my witness!

Saturday, October 25, 2008

The Palin Problem

Call it "going rogue" or as Time puts it a "problem" the GOP is in chaos.

The Gaurdian states below the GOP is in civil war and I agree. Look no further than Gilchrest and Harris in the MD 1st congressional. I mean lets get honest, the "Club For Growth" has pumped millions into a district to unseat a Republican, and many Republicans don't like it!

I mean lets get honest, when Joe Lieberman speaks up for John McCain it is supposed to be an appeal to the moderates and cross-over votes, and that was the "market branding" that McCain had as the "maverick" or the "maverick" that Gilchrest or even Ron Paul are. But the GOP has cookie cutter representation that many Republicans are "just saying no" when they hear the message. Waving a fetus and talking about a flag burning ammendment is not going to cut it, the moderate and swing vote wants details on renewable energy and health care, reigning in insurance companies, and stabilization of markets. Tired out talking points, or as Biden famously put it:
"There's only three things he mentions in a sentence: a noun, and a verb and 9/11" of Giuliani.



Now as a life-time Republican (an I will not switch parties) I'm for the first time voting Democrat, no, don't get me wrong I have voted for local offices Democrat if I knew the candidate was better qualified, even voted for Billy Don after he called the Eastern Shore the shit house. But honestly, I'm voting Obama/Biden and down-ticked Kratovil. Last election I voted Cobb and was disgusted. This time I'm optomistic. And here is the ass-kicker, I donated to McCain in 2000 when he was the alternative to the "crazies." The First Bush Administration Referred to Wolfowitz, Rumsfeld and Cheney and their ilk as the "crazies" and these people now are what is remaining of the GOP. Mean Jean Schmidt, Giuliani, Harris, and as Powell puts it, the 'fucking crazies'.

People who look to John Warner, Colin Powell, Olympia Snow, Chuck Hagel, I'll even overlook the hard abortion stance and add Mike Huckabee as palatable.

But look at what has become of the GOP.

I was saddened to see McCain dillute the standing he had as he pandered to these nut-cases. I'm not surprised to see the rift, it has been brewing a long time. And yes I'll toss $100.00 bucks against the club for growth, but more importantly I'm VOTING FOR A CHANGE! I didn't change, the GOP did.


'The Republican party is going to have to work out what sort of party it actually wants to be. It's a changing world for them,' said Professor Shaun Bowler, a political scientist at the University of California at Riverside. It might not be easy. A powerful Democratic win could wipe out Republican moderates. It could leave the party in the grip of its conservative and evangelical base who remain critical of figures such as McCain but who are wildly enthusiastic about politicians such as Palin. The Republican party could end up in a bitter civil war for its political future.'

No comments: